Why retire in Cambodia?

More and more people are considering retiring in Southeast Asia. With the increasing cost of living in the West, it makes sense to relocate to a place where your dollar goes further, especially for those on a fixed income. So why not retire in Cambodia?

Rent is very affordable in Cambodia, or you can choose to purchase a condo outright if that is your preference.

However, it’s not just about the cost. Cambodia boasts a fascinating history and welcoming people. Foreigners are treated with respect here, making it a desirable retirement location in its own right.

Additionally, there are plenty of travel options available when you want to take a trip. Most countries in Southeast Asia can be reached in around an hour for less than $100.

One of the appealing aspects of Cambodia is that it offers a glimpse of what Thailand was like 30 years ago, providing a more authentic experience before tourism took hold.

Whether you prefer to live in the compact and bustling city of Phnom Penh or explore other popular expat destinations, you should be able to find a place that suits your preferences.

The Cambodia Retirement Visa (ER) – Overview and eligibility

The Cambodia retirement visa allows individuals to stay in the Kingdom for 12 months, with the option to renew annually for an indefinite period.

To be eligible you must be 55 years of age or older.

You will also need to provide proof that you’re retired and no longer employed. This could be documentation of your pension or social security entitlement.

Applicants must also demonstrate that they have enough financial resources to support themselves while residing in Cambodia. Bank statements or a statement from a pension provider can be used as proof of funds.

Application Process

Thankfully the application process for the Cambodian retirement visa is relatively uncomplicated.

The first step is to apply for a regular E-Type visa. This is different from a tourist visa. You can do this from an embassy or online.

The following supporting documents will need to be provided:

  • Passport with at least 6 months validity
  • 3x visa photos

Then you pay the fee and you’re away.

The E-Type visa will get you 30 days entry into the country.

Then once you have arrived in Cambodia, you can apply for the ER Retirement Visa – Extension of Stay (EOS). To do this, visit the immigration office or see a visa agent.

We can assist with the application if you want help.

While insurance is not a visa requirement, it is something most retirees will want to consider anyhow.

Can I bring my spouse and children with me?

If you are travelling as a couple, your partner will have to apply for their own separate visa, be it a retirement visa or a different class of visa.

The same goes for if you are travelling with children. You will need to submit a separate visa application on their behalf, such as a student visa (ES).

Other visa options

If you want to set yourself up in Cambodia but you are under 55, the Cambodian My Second Home visa (CM2H) may be of interest. This is a residence by investment visa with eligibility to apply for Cambodian citizenship after 5 years.

If you prefer Thailand, they have a retirement visa for those who are aged 50 and over.

Another popular retirement destination is the Philippines. The SRRV retirement visa is open to applicants 50 and over.

Malaysia has the popular MM2H visa and also the more accessible Sarawak-MM2H visa.

For the Bali lovers, Indonesia offers the Second Home visa. You can read more about that here.

Next steps

Cambodia is an underrated retirement destination, yet it is popular with expats who take the time to visit and explore the country.

There is a vibrant expat social scene and plenty of things to see and do to keep you engaged.

If you need assistance with your move to Cambodia, feel free to send us an email. We’ll help you get set up to start living the good life out here.